Allstate Insurance Company today announced the launch of an innovative new eco-friendly insurance option, Allstate Green, that helps offset auto emissions by funding reforestation and clean energy projects in the United States. The company also announced a plan to significantly advance its environmental leadership.
“Our customers have told us they would like to improve the environment but also recognize the necessity to drive their cars. Allstate Green allows them to work together with Allstate to accomplish both objectives,” said Tom Wilson, Allstate president and CEO.
The test program offers both financial and environmental benefits and is available today in Colorado and Ohio.
“Allstate Green is the latest innovation from our strategy of designing products and services around the consumer,” Wilson said. “It enables customers to improve the environment — and save money — through contributions to domestic programs that offset greenhouse gas emissions and generate renewable electric energy. We expect Allstate Green to be as successful as Your Choice Auto and other new products launched last year."
Key elements of the Allstate Green test program include:
- Participants reduce paper statements with the Allstate® Easy Pay Plan, an electronic payment system that automatically deducts premiums from a checking account;
- With each enrollment, Allstate will donate $30 to Carbonfund.org, a non-profit organization that is dedicated to promote reforestation and renewable wind energy programs in the United States. This donation will help offset a typical vehicle’s emissions for one year — at no cost to customers;
- Customers will save up to 2 percent on premiums by enrolling in the Allstate® Easy Pay Plan.
"Allstate continues to take a stand on important societal issues. Today we are significantly increasing our commitment to protecting the environment," Wilson said.
Allstate will immediately begin to offset annual energy usage of its corporate headquarters and business miles traveled by employee-owned and company vehicles through contributions to reforestation and wind energy projects. The net result means that the company’s operations will contribute significantly fewer greenhouse gas emissions.
To further support future actions concerning the company’s commitment to sustainable performance, Allstate intends to:
- Commit at least $200 million in environmentally beneficial investments over the next three years. For example, Allstate recently helped launch a solar power project located at Nellis Air Force Base in Nevada — part of an existing strategy that has included investments in wind, hydro and geothermal energy projects;
- Offer Agency owners the opportunity to offset the carbon footprint of their offices. By choosing to be a “green” agency, they will receive signage identifying their office as green and regular updates about ways to further reduce energy usage and impact on the environment.
“Allstate is demonstrating leadership in setting environmental agendas,” said Andrew Winston, founder of environmental-strategy consultancy Winston Eco-Strategies. “I applaud the company’s efforts to accelerate its work in this area.”
“Our research told us consumers are looking for new ways to help the environment — they already recycle, and they want to do more,” said George Ruebenson, president of Allstate Protection. “That’s why we’re excited about Allstate Green. It’s easy, saves money and allows our customers to join with each other in supporting efforts to improve the environment.”
The company is optimistic about the test program and if successful anticipates rolling out a modified version of Allstate Green to customers nationally in 2008. The collective potential of Allstate customers across the country is powerful. If the 20 million autos insured by Allstate were enrolled in Allstate Green, it would have the environmental impact of every registered driver in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago and Houston garaging their cars for a year.
For more information about Allstate Green, visit www.allstate.com/green/. For more information about Allstate’s policies on the environment and other topics on corporate social responsibility, visit www.allstate.com/citizenship/.
Carbonfund.org is the country’s leading carbon reduction and offset organization. Carbonfund.org educates the public about the dangers of climate change and makes it easy and affordable for individuals, businesses and organizations to reduce their climate impact. Carbonfund.org works with approximately 350 corporate and non-profit partners worldwide. Learn more at www.carbonfund.org/.
The Allstate Corporation (NYSE:ALL) is the nation’s largest publicly held personal lines insurer. Widely known through the “You’re In Good Hands With Allstate®” slogan, Allstate helps individuals in approximately 17 million households protect what they have today and better prepare for tomorrow through approximately 14,600 exclusive agencies and financial representatives in the U.S. and Canada. Customers can access Allstate products and services such as auto insurance and homeowners insurance through Allstate agencies, or in select states at allstate.com and 1-800 Allstate®. Encompass® and Deerbrook® Insurance brand property and casualty products are sold exclusively through independent agents. The Allstate Financial Group provides life insurance, supplemental accident and health insurance, annuity, banking and retirement products designed for individual, institutional and worksite customers that are distributed through Allstate agencies, independent agencies, financial institutions and broker-dealers.
Raleigh Floyd, 847/402-5600