The two big challenges drivers face each summer are extreme heat and maximizing fuel mileage. The combination of good driving habits and a few minutes of basic vehicle maintenance will help keep you safe while getting better fuel mileage all summer long.
Here are some fuel saving tips from Advance Auto Parts (NYSE:AAP) so you can spend less time at the pump and more time on the road:
1) Change your air filter regularly: Your engine needs to breathe to create maximum power and efficiency. You should replace your air filter every 7,500 miles unless otherwise specified by the manufacturer.
2) Proper tire pressure is the next largest influence on fuel economy. Check the drivers’ side door post to see exactly what the tire pressure should be, then check all four tires weekly for best results. Tires that are under inflated create dramatically more rolling resistance.
3) Use synthetic oil. Synthetic oil reduces internal engine friction, lubricates better, and reduces engine operating temperatures, all creating a more efficient power process and helping with fuel mileage
4) Minimize idling, you’re getting zero mpg.
5) Reducing a vehicle’s load by eliminating excess cargo, such as extra tires, equipment, bike or ski racks, saves gas also because for every 200 pounds of extra weight in a vehicle, fuel mileage is reduced by approximately one mile per gallon.
6) Keep fuel injectors clean by using an injector cleaner once or twice a year. When the fuel injector nozzle gets debris and buildup on it, it doesn’t spray the fuel charge as it was designed to. A simple injector cleaner added to the fuel tank a few times each year can help keep the injectors clean and efficient.
7) Be sure your vehicle is in alignment. If it pulls to the right or to the left, it likely needs an alignment, or possibly some suspension work. When all four wheels are traveling down the road out of alignment, rolling resistance is created, not to mention rapid tire wear. Once the vehicle tracking is straight, it will help protect your investment, enhance safety, and improve fuel mileage.
“Anything that impedes the movement of the vehicle down the road such as low tire pressures, wind resistance, brake drag, improper wheel alignment, engine efficiency, and driveline friction costs fuel economy,” says Bryan Gregory, ASE Certified expert from Advance Auto Parts. “Some items like wind resistance are difficult to avoid. However, going easy on the accelerator and turning off the air conditioner can be worth an extra 1-2 miles per gallon.”
“Many customers are also seeking ways to improve the efficiency and life of their other gas guzzling items like lawnmowers, ATV’s, boats, and motorcycles,” adds Gregory. “The little things mean a lot for these vehicles as well. A clean air filter, proper tire pressure and synthetic oil when possible can all help reduce a household’s gasoline consumption.”
As do-it-yourselfers are reclaiming their vehicles by doing their own maintenance and striving to increase fuel economy Advance Auto Parts and its well-trained, knowledgeable Team Members are serving customers with all of the parts and products needed to perform these easy gas-saving do-it-yourself projects. Additionally, Team Members will install windshield wipers for free, and also install batteries following a complimentary check of the vehicle’s electrical system and old battery. ASE-certified experts and the Company’s consumer education program, featuring a “How to Save Gas” video clinic, and many more, can be found at www.AdvanceAutoParts.com or www.facebook.com/advanceautoparts. Click on the “Know-How” section of the website to view any of the free video clinics that will help you maintain your vehicle and save money doing so.
About Advance Auto Parts
Headquartered in Roanoke, Va., Advance Auto Parts, a leading automotive aftermarket retailer of parts, accessories, batteries, and maintenance items in the United States, serves both the do-it-yourself and professional installer markets. As of April 23, 2011, the Company operated 3,600 stores in 39 states, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands.
Advance Auto Parts supports a variety of non-profit organizations at the corporate and local levels and encourages its Team Members to become actively involved in various community-based charitable organizations. Nationally, Advance Auto Parts is a strong supporter of United Way and the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF). Since 1994, Advance Auto Parts has raised more than $25 million for JDRF, including a record-breaking campaign in 2010 which raised $4.8 million for diabetes research, making Advance Auto Parts JDRF’s number one corporate partner.
Additional information about the Company, employment opportunities, customer services, and on-line shopping for parts and accessories can be found on the Company’s web site at www.AdvanceAutoParts.com.
Shelly Whitaker, APR