Health Net of California, Inc. (Health Net) has awarded $5.85 million in research grants to local physician groups to assess how quickly, completely and accurately patient encounter data is collected. Findings from the grant-funded research could identify best practices that ultimately help Medi-Cal enrollees receive more effective preventive care services, and remain healthier longer.
Encounter data, the administrative information that describes health care interactions between patients and providers, must be collected by state law in California, and can help the state and insurers direct preventive care programs, like cancer screenings, to those that need them the most.
“At Health Net, we’re driven every day by our core purpose to transform the health of our communities, one person at a time,” said Carol Kim, vice president of Community Investments and Public Affairs for Health Net. “This initiative will help strengthen the data collection and reporting infrastructure of the Medi-Cal delivery system. With better data we can help more people live healthier lives and strengthen our state’s families, neighborhoods and communities.”
In all, the company awarded 19 grants to Medi-Cal managed care providers. Recipients included physician groups, Federally Qualified Health Centers, and individual health care providers. Grant recipients will hire experts that specialize in health care data systems and processes. Those experts will conduct an audit of technology infrastructure, assess encounter data governance, map data process flows, and finally produce an actionable plan to improve the grant recipients’ data collection and submission capability. Collectively, these reports will form the basis of documenting best practices, which Health Net will share with key state agencies for their consideration. Grant recipients include:
- Accountable Care IPA in Los Angeles County
- Altura Centers for Health in Tulare County
- BAART Community Healthcare in Contra Costa, Fresno, Los Angeles, and San Francisco counties
- Community Medical Centers in San Joaquin, Solano and Yolo counties
- Family Healthcare Network in Kings and Tulare counties
- Global Care in Los Angeles County
- HealthRIGHT 360 in San Francisco County
- Health Care LA in Los Angeles County
- Hill Physicians in Sacramento and San Joaquin counties
- Kern Pediatrics in Kern County
- KHEIR Community Clinic in Los Angeles County
- La Maestra in San Diego County
- Omni Health Centers in Fresno, Kern, and Kings counties
- Preferred IPA of California in Los Angeles County
- Riverwalk Pediatric Clinic in Kern County
- San Benito Medical Associates in San Benito County
- Seaside Health Plan in Los Angeles County
- Serra Community Medical Clinic in Los Angeles County
- Walton Pediatric in Sacramento County
About Health Net
At Health Net of California, Inc., we believe every person deserves a safety net for their health, regardless of age, income, employment status or current state of health. Founded 40 years ago, we remain dedicated to transforming the health of our community, one person at a time. The company’s more than 3,000 employees and 85,000 network providers serve more than 3 million members across California. That’s one in 13 Californians, throughout every county in the State. Health Net provides health plans for individuals, families, employers, people with Medicare, and people with Medi-Cal – a plan for every stage of life. Health Net also offers access to behavioral health, substance abuse and employee assistance programs, and managed healthcare services related to prescription drugs. Health Net of California, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Centene Corporation (NYSE: CNC). For more information, visit HealthNet.com.
Health Net of California, Inc.
Mashi Nyssen: 818-676-8042