NORWALK, Conn., May 20 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Diageo, the world's leading spirits, wine and beer company, announced today that it was named to the Association of Diversity Councils' Top 25 Diversity Councils list, for the second consecutive year. The award recognizes and honors the outstanding contributions and achievements of the nation's top 25 diversity council groups that lead diversity processes in their organizations and have demonstrated results in their workforce, workplace and marketplace. Diageo received the award at the Diversity Councils' Awards Reception at the 2010 Linkage Summit on Leading Diversity Conference on April 27 in Atlanta, Georgia.
Janice E. Bowman, President of The Association of Diversity Councils, said: "It is an honor for Diageo North America to be named among the 2010 Top 25 Councils in the country. This signifies that the efforts of their organization's council and the involvement of leadership are producing extraordinary results for the diversity and inclusion process."
Recipients of the Diversity Council Honors Award™ set the standards of excellence and best practices for US diversity councils within and across industries. Diageo's 'Inclusion and Diversity Council' is comprised of 12 employees from across the business. In addition, five Employee Resource Groups bring together employees of similar interests, including the Spirited Women's Network, African Heritage Employees at Diageo (A.H.E.A.D.), the Rainbow Network, which serves the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender community, The Latin Connection, and the Pan Asian Network (P.A.N.).
"Diageo is extremely proud to be recognized again for our focus on diversity and sustained commitment to providing employees with critical resources to pursue their goals and achieve success, regardless of race, gender, or religion," said Danielle Robinson, Director of Diversity at Diageo.
The Association of Diversity Councils experienced a twenty percent rise in award applications this year, and only 13 of 2009's Top 25 recipients ultimately reappeared on the 2010 Top 25 recipient list. Robinson continued, "Maintaining a position as a Top 25 Diversity Council this year is especially meaningful given the growing popularity of the award."
New Diageo initiatives in 2010 include:
- Diageo Inclusion and Diversity Award - this is part of Diageo's 'Celebrating You Awards' and is awarded to an individual who has made a significant difference to advancing the diversity and inclusion agenda either internally, externally or both.
- Online Mentor Program - currently being piloted for African heritage employees, this program will match employees with mentors from diverse backgrounds, and plans are in place to expand to an external program through which employees will mentor budding entrepreneurs in mostly-minority communities that do not have access to traditional funding
- College Coach - designed to assist working parents, Diageo's partnership with this organization provides support throughout the process of selecting the right educational opportunity for college-bound children of employees
- Backup Care Program - to assist working families in balancing the demands of work and life, this program offers back-up child or adult/elder care whenever an employee's normal arrangements are unavailable
Diageo has also received the following recent recognitions for inclusion and diversity:
- 2010 CT Women's Hall of Fame 'Trailblazing the Corporate Corridor'
- 2010 Top Companies for Executive Women by NAFE
- 2009 Top 100 Companies for Working Mothers
- Top Diversity Employer 2009 'Best of the Best'
- 100 Companies for Diversity by Savoy Professional Magazine 2008, 2009
- Top 100 Places to Work Corporate Equality Index – Human Rights Campaign Foundation 2007 and 2008, 2009
- 100 Best Companies to Work for Canada 2009
- Universum Ideal Employer Among MBA's 2009 Ranked #63 (Also listed 2008, 2007, 2006)
- Kane's Social Responsibility Diversity Communications Award, 2009
- 2009 Top 25 Diversity Councils Award
- 2009 NAACP of Norwalk Community Social Responsibility Award
- 2009 NY Arts and Business Partnership Award
- Corporate Partner of the Year - National Black MBA Association Greater Westchester/CT Chapter - 2007
Diageo (Dee-AH-Gee-O) is the world's leading premium drinks business with an outstanding collection of beverage alcohol brands across spirits, wines and beer categories. These brands include Johnnie Walker, Guinness, Smirnoff, J&B, Baileys, Cuervo, Tanqueray, Captain Morgan, Crown Royal, Beaulieu Vineyard and Sterling Vineyards wines.
Diageo is a global company, trading in more than 180 countries around the world. The company is listed on both the New York Stock Exchange (DEO) and the London Stock Exchange (DGE).
For more information about Diageo, its people, brands, and performance, visit us at Diageo.com. For our global resource that promotes responsible drinking through the sharing of best practice tools, information and initiatives, visit DRINKiQ.com.
Celebrating life, every day, everywhere.